- Finding An Easy To Use Digital Mixer For Your Church
- 10 Reasons Why These Are The Easiest To Use Digital Mixers
- 1. They Are All Digital.
- 2. They Are Part of the Electronic Ecosystem of Compatible Devices.
- 3. They are Easy to Use.
- 4. They are Compatible with Analog Systems.
- 5. They are Expandable.
- 6. They Work with Wi-Fi Remote Control.
- 7. They Have In-Ear Monitoring.
- 8. You Can Record Audio to a USB Thumb Drive.
- 9. They Have Multi-Track Recording.
- 10. The Price is Right.
Finding An Easy To Use Digital Mixer For Your Church
Behringer and Midas have two digital mixers that I would like to share with you as to ease of set up and operation. They are the X32 and the M32. They are the best choice for a church or small venue sound systems.
After you finish reading this article you will know the benefits of upgrading to one of these systems and if you should purchase one of them for your church or group.
The mixer is the foundation of a church or any other sound system. You will also need great speakers, monitoring and cabling but it is the mixer that combines the sounds of all of the musicians and singers into a single signal for output.
The result is great sound and a pleasing musical experience. There are a lot of really good systems out there and you should research them thoroughly.
However, the aforementioned X32 and M32 have been around enough to have earned a reputation of being the best mixers, especially for churches.
- 40-input channel, 25-bus digital mixing console for Studio and Live application
- 32 MIDAS-designed, fully programmable mic preamps for audiophile sound quality
- 25 Fully automated motorized 100 mm faders allow for instant overview, powerful scene management and DAW
- 16 XLR outputs plus 6 additional line in/outputs, 2 phones connectors and a talkback section with integrated or
- Individual and dynamic LCD Scribble Strips on all channels and buses creating easy assignment and intuitive
- Live performance and studio recording digital console with up to 40 simultaneous input channels
- 32 award-winning Midas PRO microphone preamplifiers
- 25 time-aligned and phase-coherent mix buses
- 32 bi-directional channels of live recording/playback on dual SD/SDHC (cards not included)
- Up to 3 hours of 32 channel PCM recording in one session - stored as uncompressed WAV files
Behringer has had a reputation for low-cost, low-quality gear and Midas has a reputation for high-priced, high-quality gear. Both were acquired by Music Group and they have combined the low price point of Behringer with the high quality of Midas. In 2012 they released the X32 series under the Behringer brand and the M32 series under the Midas brand.
The X32 and the M32 mixers are practically the same except for a difference in the hardware. They both run the same software and user interface. Regarding hardware, the Midas M32 mixer boards are like the Cadillac of mixers. They have better faders and preamps and generally have a smarter look.
The Behringer X32 is like the Chevy of mixers. Both get the job done but if you can afford it, you will probably choose the Cadillac. The Midas board will sound a little better and the hardware will probably last longer. If the price is an issue, the X32 will do a fine job for you.
10 Reasons Why These Are The Easiest To Use Digital Mixers
Here are 10 reasons why the X32 and the M32 are the best choices, especially for churches:
1. They Are All Digital.
In the last six years, the prices for digital mixers have lowered considerably. Behringer and Midas especially, have released many great and affordable ones. Digital has lots of benefits. All effects and signal processing are in the board and you can apply eq, compression, noise gates, reverb, delay and quite a few other effects to any sound, be it voice or instrument, going into the mixer.
Digital is the way to go! You will be able to cut way down on gear clutter and the whole system will take up considerably less space than the old school analog systems. Once you have set a mix you can save it to your soundboard. The possibilities are endless for fantastic combinations and exploratory adventures with sound.
2. They Are Part of the Electronic Ecosystem of Compatible Devices.
When you purchase a digital mixer, you are getting a whole ecosystem of compatible consoles, digital snakes and in-ear monitoring. This is a great advantage if you have more than one system because if you can run one of them you can run them all.
3. They are Easy to Use.
Midas and Behringer have developed the X32 and M32 that are incredibly easy to setup and use. You won’t need an instruction manual or complicated classes to learn these. They are swappable with your analog system and they can get your system going in a few minutes.
Their components are compatible. You can configure them and use parts from either to complete your sound system.
Check out this training video on the Behringer X 32
4. They are Compatible with Analog Systems.
Unlike many high-end mixers, the X32 and the M32 have analog inputs on the back of the board, thus making the transition from analog to digital mixing console easier.
5. They are Expandable.
These two mixers are also expandable so you can start small and add more components as your budget allows. As an example, if you have the X32 compact that only has 16 inputs and 8 outputs it can work for a while. Then you could purchase the compatible digital snake to double your capacity and have 32 input channels.
6. They Work with Wi-Fi Remote Control.
They come with compatible apps that provide wi-fi remote control on an iPad. That means you can walk around the room as you mix and/or bring the mixing console onstage for troubleshooting any issues. The musicians can download the M32Q app to control in-ear monitor mixes in real time. How cool is that!
7. They Have In-Ear Monitoring.
There are many ways to set up in-ear monitors with both the X32 and the M32. The least expensive setup is to use a headphone amp with headphone extension cables. Also, you can use the app on your phone, or you can use a wireless system.
8. You Can Record Audio to a USB Thumb Drive.
This is an amazing feature of these two mixers. Here’s how:
- Insert the thumb drive into the USB port on the mixer.
- Hit “record” when you want to begin recording.
- Hit “stop” when the recording is finished.
- Unplug the drive.
- Plug it into a computer.
- Edit it in Garage Band.
- Upload it to Soundcloud for a podcast.
9. They Have Multi-Track Recording.
Simply plug your laptop into the USB port on the mixer, open Logic, ProTools, or Ableton and you will see the X32 or M32 as an option where you can route to and from your computer.
10. The Price is Right.
They are priced as low as $999 for the X32 rack at the time of this writing, and as high as $3,999 for the M32 with options in between. You can easily have a digital mixer and snake for a few thousand dollars; the same would have cost $10,000 a few years ago.
The mixer is the foundation of a church or any other sound system. The X32 and the M32 are the best choices for a church or small venue sound systems. Please do take this information to heart and see what you think of these two digital mixers. I think you will like them for your church sound system.