Sony ECMXYST1M Stereo Microphone Review
One of the microphones that is compatible with most camcorders, Cyber-Shot cameras, and Alpha cameras, the Sony ECMXYST1M is a great option to consider. This microphone comes with a multi-interface shoe, and gives you a high-quality audio recording. This is a professional-quality microphone in all ways, but it doesn’t come with a huge price.
Sony ECMXYST1M Stereo Microphone
Sometimes you want to block out sounds from your recordings. Other times, you need to be able to pick up everything, and that is precisely what this Sony microphone will allow you to do.
You can adjust the recording range so it will pick up on every sound, but it will reduce the sound of the wind in videos, thanks to the windscreen.
There is a wide frequency band, so you can record a much better quality of sound. The range goes from zero to 120 degrees, giving you the ultimate in sound depth and quality.
Some of the features of this microphone include:
- Size – This microphone is small and lightweight. It weighs only 100 grams, making it easy to carry around, and fit into just about any camera bag. It won’t weigh you down much when added to your camera or camcorder.
- Plug-In Power – This device supports plug-in power. There is a microphone terminal cable that comes with the microphone so can easily enjoy plug-in power to your camcorder.
- Directional – This is a directional microphone. This is great because if you don’t want certain noises in the background, such as wind. Also, the wind screen also helps to eliminate a lot of wind noise when you are shooting outdoors.
- All Types of Recordings – No matter what type of recording you are doing, you know you are going to get great sound quality. This microphone can be used for everything from a monologue recital to a full chorus recording, and everything in between, and it will always sound like a professional recording.
- Connector – Many users love the fact that the connector matches a variety of cameras. This means that they don’t have to go out and spend a lot of money on a new camera that will work with this microphone. The shoe will work with many different cameras and camcorders.
- Reach – A lot of users have been surprised at the reach of this microphone. It can actually pick up the sound of what is being recorded with a zoom lens. This means that you don’t have to be right on top of your subject to record quality audio.
Pros and Cons
Just because there are a lot of great features going on with this microphone, it doesn’t mean that it is perfect. There are a few things that users have complained about. So, we do need to discuss both the pros and the cons about using this microphone.
- Stereo Sound – When you are recording movies, you will be able to enjoy true stereo sound when you use this microphone. This is going to really bring your movies to life, and give them a professional quality that you can’t get from a built-in microphone.
- Record Outdoors – One of the biggest problems people have when recording outdoors is noise from wind. Between the directionality of this microphone, and the fact that it has a quality windscreen, most users say that they enjoy movies that are completely free of wind noise.
- Easy to Use – Most users love that this microphone is extremely easy to use. It connects quickly and easily to the hot shoe, and is compatible with a number of cameras and camcorders.
- No Wires – A lot of microphones require wires to be attached to the camera, as well as the hot shoe attachment. This is not a worry when you are using this microphone. It has its own battery, and you can easily turn the microphone on and off to save battery life.
- Noise – Some users report a hissing noise in the background of all movies they record while using this microphone. This seems to be the general consensus, but most users also say that they are happy with the overall sound quality.
- Not Working – Some users have reported that they received a microphone that doesn’t work. But, they said customer service was great, and that they were able to easily get replacements or refunds without any hassles.
- Compatibility – The hot shoe attachment doesn’t fit with all cameras. Do you research before buying to make sure this microphone will work with your camera. Otherwise, you will end up having to spend more money on a new camera.
Final Verdict On The Sony ECMXYST1M Stereo Microphone
The Sony ECMXYST1M Stereo Microphone is not a top of the line microphone for video recording like the Zoom H6, however it will do a great job at a reasonable price. You owe it to yourself to check out the Sony ECMXYST1M Stereo Microphone and see if it will do the job for you.