Finding The Best Yamaha Keyboard For Your Church Worship Team
No matter what kind of music is played during a church service, a funeral, or a wedding, the right keyboard is important to ensure that the sound is clear and bright and so that everyone can easily hear the songs being played.
Because most churches have a budget that they have to follow when purchasing musical equipment, it’s important that the music director and the pastor work together to ensure that they choose the right equipment for the job. This will not only ensure that the sounds sound great, but that the congregants can really enjoy the music.
While there are a lot of keyboards on the market today, not all of them are high quality enough to be used for regular church services. This is unfortunate, as it means that some churches simply won’t have the power and beautiful music that they want during worship, which can make some people feel disconnected from the service.
The Yamaha MODX8 is one powerful keyboard that is a great option for many churches due to the great features that it has and how easy it is to use. Any church looking for a great keyboard to use during their services will want to consider this powerful and reliable instrument.
What Are the Important Considerations When Buying A Keyboard For Church Worship?
When buying a keyboard to use in a church, there are a number of things that you must first consider so that you can be sure that you choose the best one.
- Multitimbrality – this is simply the ability of a certain keyboard to play many different sounds at the same time. While this may not be important in traditional songs, it can be an important feature for contemporary music.
- Seamless Sound Switching – being able to change performances and settings on the keyboard without having sound cut off is key to producing melodic and flowing music. This feature allows musicians to continue to hold notes when playing without the end being cut off.
- Screen – great keyboards allow for a lot of sound control and manipulation, but this is impossible without a clear and large screen. Full-color LCD screens are not only easy to read, but make it much easier to see and adjust the settings as needed.
- Polyphony – being able to play multiple notes at a time without some of the notes being dropped or cut off is due to polyphony. The higher the polyphony on a keyboard, the more notes that can be played without some of them being dropped, resulting in a fuller and richer sound.
Why We Chose The MODX8 Over Others
- Motion Control Synthesis unifies and controls AWM2 and FM-X sound engines
- The Super Knob controls multiple parameters simultaneously for highly expressive sound interaction
- Send 10/receive 4 audio channels plus 16 channels of MIDI via a single USB cable
- Live Sets allow Performance organization without copying, changing order or renaming
- 4-Part Seamless Sound Switching: change Performances while holding notes without sound or effect cutoff
There really is a lot to love about the Yamaha MODX8. It offers a USB port that allows for plenty of sound control and manipulation via a computer. Additionally, users can use USB flash drives to not only store but also load, data to the instrument. Because it can be connected to a computer or other iOS device, users can enjoy MIDI connectivity and custom make sounds and songs to play during services.
One thing that the Yamaha MODX8 does really well in producing incredible sounds that can be held for long periods of time, thanks to the 192-note polyphony.
All of the motion sequences in the Yamaha MODX8 are tempo synchronized and 100% customizable. This means that users can create sequences and then control them easily with any parameters in the keyboard. Additionally, it boasts seamless sound switching, which is something that only higher quality instruments have.
Even longer notes can be held while performances are changed and effects are added without any drop in the sound. The powerful MODX sound engine included in the Yamaha MODX8 has perfected the sound design and offers shocking sound playback that is clear, crisp, and true, which is great no matter what hymns or contemporary songs are being enjoyed.
What We Like and Dislike About The Yamaha MODX8
The Yamaha MODX8 has a lot of benefits that make it a clear option for church musicians looking to make music for a service. One of the pros of this keyboard is that it has a full 88 keys on the keyboard. This allows for sweeping and gorgeous scales to be played.
Additionally, the Yamaha MODX8 features a super knob that is designed to control separate parameters at the same time, allowing for the creation of highly expressive creation.
Thanks to the VCM, or virtual circuitry modeling, this keyboard is able to easily recreate vintage sounds and effects. This is great for more advanced musicians who want to create different sounds and have more control over their music.
With a large 1 GB flash memory, the Yamaha MODX8 has enough storage to install external libraries and samples.
There are some drawbacks to the Yamaha MODX8, and one is that the included wheels feel a little lower quality due to being made from plastic.
Another common complaint with this keyboard is that the keys tend to develop clicks and other noises after a short period of daily use. While these can’t always be heard by congregants, they can be a distraction for some people during worship.
Why We Feel You Should Consider This Keyboard
Any church worship leader or organist looking for a powerful keyboard and digital piano combined that offers high-quality sound and perfect control should strongly consider the Yamaha MODX8. While it does have some drawbacks, it is surprisingly easy to use, making it a great choice for musicians of all skill levels and abilities.
Additionally, it is loaded with great features that will make any song or hymn even more impressive. Not only can it be used to provide a great background for any music being performed, but this Yamaha is powerful and impressive enough to stand out, ensuring that everyone in the congregation sits up and takes notice of the music.
Yamaha has long been known for producing keyboards with incredible sounds, and the MODX8 is no exception. Musicians will be able to choose from a wide variety of sounds, including electric and acoustic pianos, synths, drums, guitars, and orchestral instruments, ensuring that each song played is unique and powerful.
With so many presets to choose from and the ability to adjust the sound on the fly, musicians will enjoy some of the best control that they have ever had when performing, ensuring that each song is a work of art and inspires everyone who hears it.