- What Are The Best Radios For Church Security
- Motorola SL300 – Best Overall
- What Are the Important Considerations When Buying This Radio For Church Security?
- Why We Chose The SL300 Over Others
- What We Like and Dislike About The Motorola SL300
- Midland GXT1000VP4 – Best Bang for Your Buck
- What Are the Important Considerations When Buying This Church Security Radio?
- Why We Chose The GXT1000VP4 Over Others
- What We Like and Dislike About The Midland GXT1000VP4
- Retevis H-777 – Best Budget
- What Are the Important Considerations When Buying This Security Radio?
- Why We Chose The H-777 Over Others
- What We Like and Dislike About The Retevis H-777
- Why We Feel You Should Consider These Security Radios
What Are The Best Radios For Church Security
Church security is becoming more and more of an issue, and because of that, churches all over the country are opting to improve their security through the use of security systems and by having radios on hand.
These radios make it easy for church members and employees to communicate with each other when they are in an emergency situation. This makes it possible to respond quickly to a major problem and to ensure that all employees and congregants are safe.
Because a lot of factors, including communication ability and response time, ride on the type of radio chosen for church security, it’s important for the security team and the pastor to make sure to choose the best option for their church.
Having a few different radios to choose from will ensure that each church is able to select the best radios for their use, depending not only on their budget but also on the various features that the different radios offer.
By following this guide, churches will be able to easily choose the right radio for their needs, allowing them to remain safe and secure without any concerns.
But before we go into the list of radios for church security, here is an incredibly informative video on church security that will help you establish a church security ministry at your church.
Motorola SL300 – Best Overall
VHF Display 99 Channel Radio Comes with Radio, Charger, Battery and Antenna, 2 Year Warranty
SL300 portable radio provides reliable push-to-talk communication for the mobile, everyday user in an ultra-slim and rugged profile.
Whether you're working in the field or at a black-tie event, the SL300 is boldly designed to keep you efficiently connected.
Measuring under an inch thick, the SL300 is ultra-portable with a stubby antenna, curved edges and rugged frame. It features an Active View display with a matrix of LED lights behind the radio housing and “Range Max" technology, an advanced radio design and patented antenna for enhanced range.
Designed for easy and intuitive use and outfitted with the latest technology, the SL300 is the perfect work partner.
What Are the Important Considerations When Buying This Radio For Church Security?
- Finding the best overall radio for churches to use for security may seem daunting, but there are a few things to consider that will make the hunt for the best radios a lot easier.
- Budget – how much a church is able to spend on their new radios plays a huge role in what features they can get when shopping. Setting a firm budget before even looking for new radios will help a church stay under budget and reduce the stress of over-spending.
- Headsets – communicating with other staff members should be private, which is why it’s a good idea to look for radios that have headsets. In an emergency situation, this can really help to keep people calm, as they won’t be able to hear what is being said and can’t listen in on private information.
- Audible Prompts – being able to communicate without actually touching the radio can allow church employees to talk to each other in emergency situations. Some radios offer voice announcement audible prompts to allow them to use their radio without actually having to touch it, and this allows employees to communicate even when they are busy.
Why We Chose The SL300 Over Others
Overall, the Motorola SL300 is one of the most portable radio options that churches can opt for, as it only weighs 6 ounces and is light and easy to carry. It features incredible audio quality and the volume can be easily controlled, allowing users to communicate without any problems. The 500 mW audio output combined with the great low-frequency response means that this radio is not only easy to use but also pleasing to communicate on and to listen to.
Users enjoy easy programming and efficient charging thanks to the MicroUSB connectivity of the Motorola SL300. This makes keeping the batteries on this radio fully charged at all times easy so that it is always ready for use. Additionally, the radio boasts dual analog and digital capability. This means that users can easily enjoy all of the benefits that digital radios offer while still enjoying compatibility with other radios that they already have in use at the church. This makes it easy to slowly transition over to using the Motorola SL300 without having to buy all new radios at once, which can be really expensive.
What We Like and Dislike About The Motorola SL300
The Motorola SL300 was designed specifically for use by security teams and offers a ton of benefits for use in a church. One benefit is that this radio is incredibly compact. At under an inch thick, with a stubbed antenna and durable frame, it’s difficult to break this radio.
The Motorola SL300 also features incredibly simple operation with a clear push-to-talk button, ensuring that all users can easily handle this radio.
Additionally, it’s both dust and splash proof. This means that the Motorola SL300 won’t easily be damaged when used in any situation.
The security team leader or pastor can easily interrupt any radio conversation to provide critical information at any time. This ability reduces the stress of not being able to communicate with the team.
There are some cons to using this radio, and one is that it is so expensive. The high price tag can be a turnoff for some churches, although the radio itself is high-quality, and many churches feel like it is worth the cost.
The Motorola SL300 also has a limited display. The character limitation on this radio reduces a user’s ability to quickly check channel information.
Midland GXT1000VP4 – Best Bang for Your Buck
- 2-Way radios - these walkie-talkies Feature 50 gmrs channels, along with channel scan to check for activity. Jis4 waterproof protection makes it splash resistant.
- 36-Mile range - longer range communication in open areas with little or no obstruction. Easy voice and sound activation transmission (evox) with 9 sensitivity levels for hands-free operation.
- 142 ctcss/DCS privacy Codes - the privacy Codes give you up to 3, 124 channel options to block other conversations.
- Noaa weather scan + alert - will automatically scan through 10 Available weather band channels & alert you of severe weather in your area if you are at risk.
- Included in the box - radios (X6), rechargeable battery packs (X6), boom mic headsets (X6), belt clips (X6), 120V Dual Desktop charger, AC adapter, DC adapter, and an owner’s manual.
What Are the Important Considerations When Buying This Church Security Radio?
A great radio will do much more than simply allow employees and members of the security team to communicate with each other. A high-quality radio should offer other features, as well, to ensure that it offers the best safety for all users.
NOAA Weather Alert – bad weather can happen quickly, but being alerted to problems in the area can help keep everyone at a church safe. When radios provide weather alerts then the church staff and congregants can prepare for the worst.
Channel Scan – being able to quickly scan available channels to see if anyone is communicating on them is a great way for pastors and security team leaders to remain in charge and to know what is going on around them.
Waterproof Protection – emergencies happen in all types of weather, and radios need to be able to be used not only in great weather but also when it is raining. Opting for radios that are weatherproof will help prevent them from being irreparably damaged if they get wet and ensure communication no matter what type of emergency situation the church is facing.
Why We Chose The GXT1000VP4 Over Others
Thanks to the extra channels on the Midland GXT1000VP4, there is very little concern about an outsider trying to listen in on an active channel at the church, which can prevent problems and keep everyone in the church safe. Not only is this radio designed to offer great privacy, but it comes with an impressive 3-year warranty, which is unheard of for most radios. The company is willing to stand by their product, which gives churches peace of mind when they opt to use this radio.
With a 36 mile range in perfect conditions, it’s easy to see how the Midland GXT1000VP4 can easily work for most churches, even when they are sprawling. The longer range also makes this radio a great option to take on church trips, as the long range will ensure that users can communicate with each other across fields, campsites, and in cities. In addition to offering NOAA weather alerts, the Midland GXT1000VP4 scans through 10 different weather channels, making it easy for users to learn about the possibility of any severe weather in the area so they can prepare accordingly.
What We Like and Dislike About The Midland GXT1000VP4
The Midland GXT1000VP4 is a great radio that offers a lot of pros and cons. One of the main perks of opting for this radio is that it features 142 privacy codes. This means that church members and security team members never need to worry about the information they share on the radio being compromised.
Additionally, the Midland GXT1000VP4 has two power options to choose from – AA batteries or a rechargeable battery pack, which means that users never have to worry about running out of power.
The Midland GXT1000VP4 also includes a great whisper feature that makes it possible for one user to contact another without disturbing everyone else using the radio.
Thanks to the included NOAA weather alert feature, churches won’t ever have to worry about being unprepared for bad weather.
There are some downsides to using the Midland GXT1000VP4, and one is that the earpieces don’t easily fit on the ear and can slip off with a lot of walking or running.
The Midland GXT1000VP4 also doesn’t work very well with a lot of buildings in the area, which can make it difficult to use in some larger churches.
Retevis H-777 – Best Budget
- All the two way radios have been set to same frequency when out of the box and just on the same channel can communicate; easy to change the channel and easy to found your group channel
- Compared with other small FRS walkie-talkies; it has higher power; so the distance is longer; which is very suitable for your business activities like construction;school; logistics; church and warehouse
- Flashlight function makes things handy in dark environment; fast and safe USB charging 2 way radios with adapter will provide your team more convenience; empower your business with a faster way to communicate
- Multi features UHF radios with good signal and clear voice; private codes will build secure conversation in your team; Scanning allows you locate conversations in progress
- 1000mAh battery capacity support 8-9 hours continuous use or longer;Durable battery latch teeth maintain solid contact to promise your continuously communication
What Are the Important Considerations When Buying This Security Radio?
Choosing budget radios to use for security purposes can be tricky if you’re not sure what to look for. Knowing various features to consider will ensure that a church is able to choose the best radios for its use.
- Coverage Range – one of the most important things to consider is the coverage range. Depending on the how large the church is, only certain radios will be able to cover the entire area. Smaller churches can obviously look for radios with smaller coverage areas.
- Channels – it’s also a good idea to think about how many channels the radios offer and how many staff members, security teams, and other congregants will need to have access to. Being able to switch channels for private conversations can be important. This can also reduce the problem of interference from neighbors.
- Charging – security radios only work the way that they are supposed to when they are fully charged, so churches need to make sure that they always have fully-powered radios when communicating with each other. Some radios require longer charging times than others, which can put them out of commission for a while, leaving the church in danger.
Why We Chose The H-777 Over Others
One of the most impressive features of the Retevis H-777 is that it charges incredibly quickly. These radios feature a 1000mAH Li-ion battery that can charge for between two and three hours and then provide up to nine hours of use. This means that this radio is always ready to go in an emergency situation and that churches won’t ever have to worry about whether or not they are prepared. Additionally, the scanning feature allows users to scan privacy codes or channels to look for conversations so that they can keep track of what is going on inside the church.
The Retevis H-777 also features an emergency alarm. When the user is in danger, they can simply push the alarm button, and it will alert all of the other users on this radio that there is a problem. This is a great way to communicate in an emergency situation without getting on the radio, which can be beneficial in the case of dealing with an intruder or other dangerous situation. With both a hand strap and belt clip to choose from, it’s easy to take this radio on the go.
What We Like and Dislike About The Retevis H-777
There’s a lot to love about the Retevis H-777. One of the major pros of this radio is that it comes with an attached flashlight, which is surprising given the cost but makes it possible to easily see in the dark. This is great in case of a power emergency.
Additionally, these radios can easily be charged via a USB adapter, which allows them to be used for longer periods of time outside of the church.
The Retevis H-777 has 50 CTCSS encryption code on each channel, which helps to prevent any interference so that users can quickly and easily communicate.
Finally, with the included high-gain antenna, there is very little concern over these radios failing or not being able to communicate with each other.
The Retevis H-777 does come with some downsides, and one is that the included radios are difficult to hear, which makes it hard to communicate with other users.
Additionally, this radio has a shorter range than other options on the market, which means that it is perfect for use in smaller churches, but not ideal for larger churches or wide open spaces.
Why We Feel You Should Consider These Security Radios
It can be really easy to overspend when buying radios for church use, which is why considering the Retevis H-777 as the best budget option is a good idea. This is a surprisingly powerful radio that is easy to use and offers a number of different features that make it possible for users to easily communicate and to be safe, all without overspending.
The best overall is the Motorola SL300. This radio is designed for security purposes and makes it easier than ever for users to communicate with each other without worrying about interference, static, or dropped transmissions. They can be used inside and outside without any worry about decreased performance.
Finally, the Midland GXT1000VP4 is the best bang for your buck when looking for a great all-around security radio that is powerful, easy to use, and offers an impressive range. Because this radio alerts to severe weather and offers such impressive security codes and features, church security teams won’t ever need to worry about the safety of parishioners or of their staff. This radio is designed to provide extra security in any situation and is easy to set up and to use.