- Finding The Best Guitar Amplifiers For Your Worship Service At Church
- Best Guitar Amp Brands
- Best Overall Guitar Amp in 2020
- Our Top Recommended Guitar Amplifier For Contemporary Worship
- Our Top Recommended Guitar Amp For Orchestra Or Big Band Style Worship
- Our Top Recommended Guitar Amp For Southern Gospel Or Country Hymns
- Best Tube Guitar Amp
- The Best Fender Amp
- The Best Guitar Amps For Church By Price
- Deciding On The Best Guitar Amplifier For Your Church
Finding The Best Guitar Amplifiers For Your Worship Service At Church
Finding the best guitar amplifiers for your worship services is not as easy as just figuring out which amp has the most features, best sound, or is the least expensive for what it offers.
Each church and each congregation is different. Just like you wouldn’t use a Marshall half stack with an orchestra unless you were doing some weird version of “In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida” (derived from “In the Garden of Eden”) by Iron Butterfly, neither would you use a Marshall half stack for worship music by Integrity Music filled with horns and keyboards.
The right guitar amp for you will be one that fits with your congregation. So I have compiled a list of guitar amps that take this into consideration. It is my desire that you will be able to make a quality decision about a guitar amp after reading this article. So let’s start by listing the amplifier brands that you can trust will provide a quality guitar amp.
Best Guitar Amp Brands
This list is not in order of quality, but just in order of how I brought to my memory the top brands. Each brand has its strengths and weaknesses and I am sure that there are some brands that I didn’t list that are great brands as well.
- Marshall – Marshall is a British amp company and is iconic in the rock genre of music. Every rock and roller has dreamed of owning a Marshall full stack.
- Fender – Fender is probably the most recognized brand in the guitar industry. Both their guitars and amplifiers have been used by music legends. You never can go wrong owning a Fender Amplifier.
- Peavey – Peavey is probably the second most recognized brand. Famous for its amplifiers and sound systems, Peavey delivers high-quality guitar amps at an affordable price.
- Vox – Vox is another British amplifier company. Vox made its way across the pond with groups such as the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, and was the amplifier that gave Queen its distinctive sound.
- Blackstar – When a group of ex-Marshall employees founded a company to produce effects units and amplifiers, it was obvious that they knew what they were doing. Blackstar is known for producing powerful equipment for musicians that are flexible, musician-friendly, and durable.
- Mesa Boogie – Mesa Boogie is an American company that is located in California. They are considered a contender to both Marshall and Fender for their quality and sound.
- Orange – Orange Music Electronic Company is a famous English amp manufacturer who produces equipment that is not only easily recognizable due to the bright orange covering on cabinets and heads, but also for its distinctive sound. These amps are the result of years of research and development and are truly powerful, which is surprising to some people due to their smaller size.
- Line 6 – Line 6 has built its reputation by focusing on digital technology. They have made a name for themselves in the modeling amp niche. For guitarists that need an amp that is versatile and can play a variety of music genres, Line 6 has become a top contender.
- PRS Paul Reed Smith – The brand Paul Reed Smith, commonly known as PRS, not only makes guitars but also designs their own range of amplifiers. PRS is a well-known and much-loved brand amongst professional guitarists.
- Roland – Roland is best known for its keyboards and synthesizers, however, Roland makes a very nice line of guitar amplifiers as well. Those that own them love the performance and reliability of these amps.
Best Overall Guitar Amp in 2020
When taking into consideration what would be the best overall guitar amplifier for a church worship setting, I gave predominance to versatility. In my opinion, with the variety of music styles used in church, an amplifier that would be able to handle all the variations is of extreme importance.
Since most churches run all the instruments through a sound system, the amount of power an amplifier has individually was not as important to me.
- 50-Watt combo amplifier
- El 34 power tubes
- Gain & clean channels
- 1x12 Celestin v-type speaker
- Includes 2-button footswitch (channel gain/clean, reverb on/off)
Our Top Recommended Guitar Amplifier For Contemporary Worship
Contemporary worship takes a special breed of an amplifier. Because of the influence of Vineyard Music over the years, most contemporary worship music has strong roots in rock and folk music. This takes an amplifier that can handle both distortion for power cords and lead guitar riffs in the modern rock worship songs, but also a clarity that can handle an acoustic electric guitar. Here is the type of music I am talking about.
If your church has this style of worship music then I recommend you check out this amp.
- 60W + 60W 2x12" stereo programmable amplifier with True Valve Power - LOUD as Valve
- 6 classic channel voices (EL84, 6V6, EL34, KT66, 6L6, KT88) and 128 user storable patches
- 3 band EQ with patented ISF gives you access to infinite sound options from the USA to the UK
- Multi-effects include: 4 modulations, 4 delays and 4 reverbs based on classic and boutique effects
- USB connectivity to edit or record and GUI software for deep editing, practice and sharing online
With the 6 channels, this amplifier comes with, you can use different guitars based on which type of worship you are performing at the time.
Our Top Recommended Guitar Amp For Orchestra Or Big Band Style Worship
When you are performing with a big band or orchestra, the guitarist has different needs. They need an amp that is going to give crystal clear sound and tone. The guitar is not the main instrument, but one of the instruments in the rhythm section. If your church uses a lot of Integrity music or has a church orchestra, then you don’t need a rock amp. Here is an example of the music I am talking about.
If this is the type of worship at your church, then I recommend you consider this amplifier.
- The addition of reverb and tremolo to both channels give this amplifier a vintage vibe with a modern twist
- The Bassman tone stack on the "custom" channel gives modern players greater tonal flexibility with pedals
- Greater touch sensitivity by way of quicker gain onset and reduced negative feedback
- A more distinctively rock 'n' roll flavor is delivered by a pair of 12" Celestion G12V-70 speakers
- Fitted amplifier cover and 2-button footswitch included
Our Top Recommended Guitar Amp For Southern Gospel Or Country Hymns
My exposure to southern gospel music started in the 1980s at the church my uncle pastored. It was God’s music according to them. The rest was worldly according to them. I was privileged to play with some pretty good musicians who played in with some of the biggest names in country music.
If your church primarily sings southern gospel songs our country western hymns, then you need an amplifier that is crisp and clean with the ability to pick up fast picking patterns of the guitarist. Similar to what you see in this video.
I recommend this amplifier.
- 40 watts of legendary Fender tone.
- Fantastic clean and overdriven tones plus lusciously Fender spring reverb.
- 1X 12" Eminence special-design speaker offers enhanced midrange that fills the stage and projects through the densest mix.
Best Tube Guitar Amp
Tube amps are a special creature all unto their own. Personally, I am not sure why they are still so popular. I know people claim that they have more depth and sound quality compared to solid-state amplifiers. I just really don’t hear that much difference. However, it is not my job to tell you what is best for you. So if you have your heart set on a tube amp, then I recommend this one.
- 30 Watt combo; Hand-wired, turret board construction; Premium components; Matched Ruby Tubes
- Birch-ply, reinforced cabinet (with natural HF diffuser); Wrapped in vintage Fawn vinyl
- Tube complement: 12AX7 (x 3); EL84 (x 4); GZ34 rectifier (x 1); Dual Celestion Alnico Blue speakers
- NORMAL: Volume; Bright Switch; TOP BOOST: Volume, Treble, Bass; Cool/Hot Switch; High & Low inputs
- MASTER section: Tone Cut knob; Master Volume (with Bypass); Output Power Switch (Full/Half)
The Best Fender Amp
I have been playing with Fender amps since 1979. The first amp I used was a Fender Bassman. Fender has a wide variety of guitar amps but if you want my opinion on the absolute best Fender amp, it has to be the Fender 57 Custom Twin.
- Power: 40W (tube)Tubes: one 12AY7, three 12AX7 (preamp); two 6L6 (power amp)Two channels: Normal, BrightFour inputs: 1/4 in. two Bright, two NormalImpedance: 4 ohmsSpeaker: 2x12 Eminence AlnicoCabinet Material: Finger-Joined Solid PineCovering/Grille Cloth: BassmanHandle: Vintage-style leather with nickel mounting hardwareKnobs: Chicken-head-style pointer
- This responsive hand-wired amp generates clear tone with a bit of hair to bring out the expressiveness and nuances of your playing
- Robust and powerful, this pedal-friendly performer offers near-limitless tone-shaping possibilities
- The magic of the 57 Custom Twin-Amp is in the 5E8A circuit powered by a single 12AY7 and three 12AX7 preamp tubesa classic design that produces a wide range of useful, highly desirable tones
- Ideal for playing clubs, this amp breaks up at reasonable volume while still cranking out pristine, clear, three-dimensional clean tones and fat, greasy overdriven blues tones effortlessly
The Best Guitar Amps For Church By Price
Some people are less impressed by features, sound quality, or style of music. They are budget minded people and just want to get the best bang for the buck. I understand that. I have been in pastoral ministry since 1988. Your board or church leaders just want to know how much it is going to cost. So here are my recommendations based on price.
Please understand that over time prices change, and so when I have placed them in these price groups, sometimes in the future, these prices will change. I do not want to mislead people and neither does Amazon so these categories are not set in stone. They are just general ideas.
Best Under 1000 Dollars
Blues Cube Stage 60W 1x12 Guitar Combo Amp.
The reinvented Blues Cube series launches the classic 1x12 combo amp into a new era, combining lush 6L6 tube sound and response with modern reliability and easy portability.
Going far beyond modeling, Roland's Tube Logic design philosophy starts with carefully reproducing the inner workings of the revered tweed-era tube amp in every way, from guitar input to speaker output.
Versatile clean and crunch channels can be used independently or combined for a complex range of tones, while variable output power modes let you dial in burning, full-throttle sound at any volume.
Road-tested and fine-tuned with feedback from top players, the gig-ready Blues Cube delivers the sweet, magical tone and satisfying feel that makes a great guitar amp a highly expressive musical instrument.
Ready for live playing, the Blues Cube Stage is equipped with 60 watts of power, plus a custom 12-inch speaker that's been specially designed for maximum tonal response with Tube Logic. The open-back cabinet features poplar plywood construction, which offers acoustically vibrant tone for solo or group performances.
Clean, Crunch and Dual Tone The Blues Cube Stage has two independent channels—one voiced for cleaner tones, and the other for crunch. Each channel has its own Boost and Tone switches to shape the character. The Clean channel's single volume control dials in natural tube fullness and bite as the volume is cranked, while the Crunch channel's variable gain control provides a range of grit flavors from mild to aggressive. With the press of a switch, the unique Dual Tone mode lets you blend both channels together for an endless array of rich tones.
And just like a vintage tube amp, the Blues Cube loves stomp-boxes, allowing you to further shape your personal sound by hitting the amp' front end with your favorite gain pedals. Wide-Open Sound at Any Volume Every tube-amp player knows that you really need to turn up the volume a...
Best Under 500 Dollars
- 30W programmable combo
- True Valve Power - LOUD as Valve
- Voice - select from 6 classic channels
- EQ with patented ISF
- 128 user storable patches
Best Under 300 Dollars
- 40 Watts
- One 12 Custom voiced modeling speaker
- Patented TransTube technology
- Acoustically ported semi-closed back
- 10 instrument models including Acoustic guitar simulators, 12 String guitar model, Sitar model, 7 String model, Baritone Model, Resonator model, Electric Violin, Bass guitar models
Best Under 200 Dollars
Before listing this amp, please allow me to say that if you are searching for a guitar amp for a live performance that is under $200.00, please stop. This price range is basically for practice amps. Don’t out cheap yourself. You will be happy you paid a higher price for a good amp in the long run.
- All the tonal versatility you can handle in a small package with clean and overdriven tones, British and modern amp voicings and various effects including reverb, delay and more.
- Straight forward controls such as "Voice" and "FX Select" allow you to dial in your sound with the ease of just turning a knob.
- Jam along with your favorite tracks by simply plugging your MP3 player into the Auxiliary input and you instantly become part of the band and /or practice privately with the 1/8th headphone output jack that also mutes the speaker output.
- Store extra cables or other small accessories with the open back cabinet. Total impedance is 8 ohms
- Enjoy the peace of mind that this amp is backed by Fender’s 5 Year Transferable Warranty.
Ok, enough of the preaching. Here is the final amp of my list.
Deciding On The Best Guitar Amplifier For Your Church
Well, I have provided you with 10 options that hopefully will meet the needs of your church. Praise and worship is an important part of the life of the church. Finding the right guitar amplifier is important. I feel confident that the selections I have made for you will be good ones. They are all high-quality guitar amps and in my opinion are the best guitar amplifiers for a church’s need.