- Everything You Need To Know About 4k Video Cameras
- What Are 4k Cameras?
- What Is 4k Video Camera Technology?
- How Much Do 4k Camcorders Normally Cost?
- What Should I Look For When Buying A 4k Video Camera?
- Maximum Resolution
- Video Processor
- Sensor Size And Type
- Low Light Sensitivity
- Video Formats
- Hard And Wireless Connectivity
- The Reality Of 4k Video Cameras
- Best 4k Video Camera Under 1000 Dollars Reviews
- Panasonic HC-WXF1 4K Cinema-like Camcorder
- Sony FDR-AX43 UHD 4K Handycam Camcorder
- Sony FDRAX53/B 4K Review
- Sony 4K FDRAX33 Review
- Panasonic 4K Ultra HD Video Camera Camcorder HC-VX981K
- Final Thoughts
4k cameras have started to drop in price. Because of this, they are now becoming affordable to smaller and medium-sized churches, organizations, videographers, and those that want to have great videos of their weddings, family reunions, or other significant life events. In fact, you can now find a 4k video camera under 1000 dollars.
As I do in all my articles, I am not going to get into all the nitty gritty specs. I am going to give you options, point out some features, and hopefully give you some tips on how to choose the best 4k video camera under 1000 dollars you can get.
Everything You Need To Know About 4k Video Cameras
Because of all the hype, and how 4k technology is becoming popular in consumer electronics, you are probably wondering what this means for video cameras and whether or not it is important. The answer is yes! Not only will this technology be around for a while, but the quality of the video is amazing.
What Are 4k Cameras?
There are 3 types of 4k cameras.
- Production-grade cinematic cameras like the Blackmagic Design Ursa Mini that I reviewed on this page. They are full-blown production model cameras used for commercials, documentaries, and independent films. They are neither inexpensive or needed for what most people will use a 4k camera for.
- Hybrid 4k cameras that combine the features of a DSLR camera with the ability to take video at the same time. Although these cameras are portable and will do the work of a video camera, the fact that they try to combine both the capability of taking professional still shots with recording video still prices them out of the budget 4k video camera range.
- Finally, we come to the 4k camcorder style video cameras. These are designed primarily for recording and streaming video. Although they still take great still shots, their primary focus is on video.
This article will focus on the camcorder style 4k video cameras since they are in the budget range for most people looking for the best 4k video camera under 1000 dollars.
What Is 4k Video Camera Technology?
4k technology gives the camera the ability to take very detailed photos or videos of the event you are recording. At a minimum, they have a resolution of 3,840 x 2160 pixels and more commonly an industry standard resolution of 4096 x 2160 pixels at a 1.9:1 aspect ratio.
In layman’s terms what this means is that they put smaller pixels of color in the same size area you are viewing. The more pixels in an area, the more defined the image will be. So smaller pixels in an area means more pixels are making up the same image vs. the number of pixels an HD camera would take.
Bottom line, a 4k camera will record the video that can be played on a UHD (Ultra high definition) monitor or TV.
How Much Do 4k Camcorders Normally Cost?
As I mentioned earlier, the prices are dropping as the technology becomes more affordable. Productions cameras like the URSA Mini that I talked about earlier can run between $5,000 and 10,000 dollars. Which puts them way out of the price range of most small to medium size churches.
The hybrid DSLR style cameras are not much better. Most run in the $3,000 to $5,000 price range which is a hard pill to swallow if you are on a budget.
That is where the 4k camcorder style video cameras come in. While some are still between $1,000 and 3,000 dollars, there are a few that are under 1,000 dollars.
What Should I Look For When Buying A 4k Video Camera?
In all honesty that depends a lot on you. It depends on what you are going to use the video camera for and what features you find important. I will try to give you a few of the basics to pay attention to.
All 4k video cameras will list a maximum photo resolution and a maximum video resolution. Usually, your video resolution will be measured in a vertical and horizontal measurement like 3,840 x 2,160 pixels (standard 4K UHD video).
You will more than likely have some lower settings as well. People use this when they need to store more video for more extended sessions since the amount of pixels effects how much storage is required. 4k file sizes are more extensive than 2k.
All 4k video cameras will record excellent video, so this is not as important as paying attention to processing power.
Most of your high-end 4k video cameras have an adequate processor for what you are doing, however, if you can find one with more than one processor that is a bonus. When you are looking at budget 4k video cameras, then you need to compare the processor to get the most powerful one you can in your price range.
Sensor Size And Type
The sensor is the component that detects the image you are recording. In this case, the bigger, the better. A larger sensor will pick up a clearer picture.
Low Light Sensitivity
A fundamental feature, especially when live recording events like church services is how sensitive the video camera is in low light situations. This is defined by the camera’s ISO settings. The broader the range, the more it will work in both high light, and low light environments.
When looking to see how well it will do in low light, you want to note the lower end of the ISO settings.
Some 4k video cameras will give you the option to use the raw video format, but most will convert the format to MP4, AVCHD, and H.264. Check your video editing or live streaming software to make sure that it accepts the video format your camera uses.
Hard And Wireless Connectivity
You want your new 4k camera to come with a variety of connection options. You want Wi-Fi, HDMI, External audio, and maybe some others unique to your situation. Pay attention to these.
The Reality Of 4k Video Cameras
In the end, the truth of the matter is that 4k is here to stay and shortly it will replace HD and Full HD cameras. If you want to be ahead of the times and you want something that will work for years in the future, then getting a 4k video camera is the right choice.
Best 4k Video Camera Under 1000 Dollars Reviews
Panasonic HC-WXF1 4K Cinema-like Camcorder
- 4K cinema like recording experience with advanced in camera capture and button control options; WiFi: Standard IEEE 802.11b/g/n
- LEICA DICOMAR 24X optical zoom lens (25 to 600 millimeter, F1.8 4.0), and large 1/2.5 inch BSI MOS Sensor for impressive capture even in low light.Focal Length : 4.12 to 98.9 millimeter
- 3 optical image stabilization (O.I.S.) technologies work together for impressive stability under many shooting conditions; 5 axis Hybrid o.I.S. Plus, ball o.I.S., and Adaptive o.I.S
- Electronic viewfinder (EVF) and manual control ring that emulates a professional recording experience
- For a more natural looking image, a new Active Contrast feature equalizes contrast, and the HDR Movie mode enables a wider dynamic range between dark and bright areas
Sony FDR-AX43 UHD 4K Handycam Camcorder
- 4K1 16: 9 video optimized 1/2. 5” Exmor R low-light CMOS Sensor
- Built-in gimbal - Balanced Optical SteadyShot image stabilizer
- 20x optical zoom and Clear Image Zoom of 30x for 4K1 / 40x for HD2
- Fast Intelligent AF tracks focus to captures decisive moments
- 26. 8mm2 wide-angle ZEISS Vario-Sonnar T zoom lens
- Digital Zoom: 250
- Max Focal Length: 536
- Video Capture Resolution: 720p. Image Stabilization: Digital
Sony FDRAX53/B 4K Review
- Sony FDR-AX53 Camcorder - A palm-sized camcorder that combines Zeiss 20x optical zoom lens and a high-sensitivity image sensor to produce crisp and UHD 4K video. Designed for a wide range of users, it features a range of automatic image and audio options that give you more creative freedom. An assignable ring can be used to control of zoom, focus, exposure, iris, shutter speed, exposure, or white balance
- Key Camcorder Features : 4K Ultra HD 24/30p & 16.6MP Stills - Exmor R CMOS Sensor - 26.8mm Zeiss Vario Sonnar T* Zoom Lens - 20x Optical Zoom & 40x Clear Image Zoom
- Sony Supplied Accessories : NP-FV70 V-Series Rechargeable Battery Pack (1960mAh, 6.8-8.4V) - AC Adapter - Power Cord - Micro-HDMI Cable - Micro-USB Cable - Limited Warranty (1-Year Parts, 90-Days Labor)
- Seller Supplied Accesories : LED Video Light - MIC-05 Microphone - 32GB Transcend Memory Card - Card Reader - Lightweight Camcorder & Accessory Case - Spider Tripod - 5-pack Movavi Photo/Video Editing Digital Software - 55mm UV Filter - Lens Pens and Air Blower - Equipment Cleaning Kit
Sony 4K FDRAX33 Review
- BUNDLE INCLUDES: Sony FDRAX33 Handycam 4K HD Camcorder, Sandisk Ultra SDXC 64GB 80MB/S C10 Flash Memory Card, Replacement Battery for Sony NP-FV50, and DSLR Camera Holster Case Accessory Bundle
- ZEISS OPTICS: Premium ZEISS Optics Capture incredibly sharp 4K or HD with the newly developed ZEISS Vario-Sonnar T lens. Not only is this 29mm wide-angle ideal for capturing grand landscapes, you can also zoom to get you closer to the action with 10x optical zoom and 20x Clear Image Zoom
- LCD: The 3 inch Xtra Fine LCD screen displays sharp, bright, vivid images, letting you compose a shot more easily - even outdoors, while enabling you to change settings to best represent the scene. Touch screen functionality allows for easy operation of menus and advanced features like touch focus and metering
- COMPACT: The FDR-AX33 is over 30% smaller and over 20% lighter than current model the FDR-AX100, making it the most mobile 4K camcorder on the market
- SONY AUTHORIZED DEALER: Includes USA Manufacturer Warranty
Panasonic 4K Ultra HD Video Camera Camcorder HC-VX981K
- Get in Close and Detail: 18.91 Megapixel MOS sensor plus 20x Zoom LEICA Decomar Lens (4.08-81.6mm), plus 5-axis Hybrid O.I.S. (Optical Image Stabilizer)
- 1/2.3-Inch BSI Sensor: The Back Side Illumination Sensor has a large effective area with 8.29M effective pixels, suppressing noise even when shooting in dimly lit conditions
- 4K Recording and In-Camera Editing: Ultra-sharp 4K Ultra HD recording, plus in-camera editing for 1080p displays; Total Pixels 18.91 megapixels, still image 7.00 megapixels [3:2], 8.29 megapixels [16:9], 6.22 megapixels [4:3]
- HDR Movie Feature: Exclusive high-dynamic range feature suppresses blown highlights and blocked shadows for crisper and clearer videos
- Wireless Twin Camera: Wirelessly connect your smartphone's video camera as a sub-camera for a picture-in-picture video effect.Recording Format:JPEG (DCF/Exif2.2)
You might call me old fashioned but sometimes going with something that has been faithful to many people is the right choice. After doing all the research and reading all the reviews, my preference is the Panasonic HC-VX981K Ultra HD Camcorder.
There were very few real complaints and much praise which is saying a lot when you are looking for the best 4k video camera under 1000 dollars.
Please tell me what you end up choosing. I want to know.